Friday, August 17, 2012

I Am A Desk Clerk


I have advanced degrees in accounting, public relations, marketing, 
business, computer science, civil engineering, and Swahili.


Of course, I have your reservation that you booked six years ago, 
even though you don't have a confirmation number, and you think 
it was made under a last name that started with  "X".


It is not a problem for me to give you seven connecting, nonsmoking, 
poolside suites with two king beds each, and four rollaways, and YES, 
I can install a wet bar. I know it is my fault that we do not have a helicopter 
landing pad.


I am a front desk clerk. I am expected to speak ALL languages. It is obvious 
that when you booked your reservation for Friday, you really meant Saturday. 
my company has entrusted me with all financial information and decisions,
and yet, I can't tell you why your bill for March of 1989 contained a 25 cent phone 
charge because, obviously, you never pay for phone calls.


I understand that McGillioutry's Widget Manufacturing is a vast empire that will make
or break our hotel. Yes, I am lying when I say we have no rooms available. 
It is not a problem for me to quickly construct several more guest rooms. This time, I 
will not forget the helicopter landing pad!


I am a front desk clerk. I am quite capable of checking  three people in, two people out, 
taking five reservations, answering fifteen incoming phone calls, and plunging the toilet 
in room 226; all at the same time.


I always know where to find the best vegetarian, kosher, Mongolian barbecue restaurant. 
I know exactly what to see and do in the city in fifteen minutes, without spending any money.
I take personal blame for airline food, traffic jams, rental car problems, the location of our hotel,
and the national economy. I realize you meant to book your reservation here, people often
confuse us with the Galaxy Delight Motel of Antartica. Of course, I can "fit you in", and yes,
you may have that special one dollar rate because you are affiliated with the Hoboken
Accounting and Bagel Club.


I am expected to smile, empathize, sympathize, console, upsell, downsell
(and know when to do which), perform, sing, dance, and fix the printer.

I am a front desk clerk, I do all things...and still try to look busy when management is around.

3 comments:

  1. hmm I'm sencing some sarcasm..If you've never seen the movie clerks you totaly should :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and for your next trick, you SPARKLE!

    ReplyDelete